Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Dental insurance is just as needed (and valuable) as medical insurance. That’s not just to help take care of any dental accidents like a chipped tooth or one that got knocked out. It’s to help cover preventative dentistry treatments like a dental cleaning and dental exam.

If you are in the military, you have the TRICARE Dental Program (TDP). That’s why you need to call our Burke, VA dental office at 703-978-5253. Dr. Fox is in the TDP network, meaning your insurance can help cover (in part or entirely) the cost of your dental care.

Big Changes To TRICARE

As a member of our military, you probably have heard about big changes coming to the TRICARE Dental Program. United Concordia won the TDP contract last year, and the transfer should now be complete for everyone.

Although some people might have to find a new dentist because they’re not covered by TDP, Dr. Fox is still in the TDP network! That means you can keep coming to our Burke, VA dental office. If you haven’t seen Dr. Fox before, now you can.

Although there might be differences to each person’s individual insurance benefits, TDP with United Concordia generally covers:

  • Dental exams (including dental cleanings, fluoride treatment, sealants, and X-rays)
  • Tooth-colored dental fillings for cavities
  • Dental crowns
  • Dentures
  • Root canals
  • Braces
  • Oral surgery, including tooth extractions
  • Periodontal (or gum) surgery

The exact cost depends on each person’s deductible, coinsurance, and other details. Look at your plan brochure or visit the TDP website for more information.

Understanding Dental Insurance Terms

All insurance can be confusing. It’s like they speak a different language sometimes. To help with that, here are some of the most important terms you need to understand so you can get the most from your TRICARE Dental Program.

Coinsurance: This is the percentage of a treatment’s cost that you will have to pay. Some treatments are covered 100%, meaning there is no coinsurance. Other treatments might be covered 80/20. That means TDP will cover 80% of the cost, leaving you with 20% to pay out of your pocket.

Network: A group of dentists who agree to charge less for treatments. In return, TDP encourages you to visit those dentists, giving them more customers. If you see a dentist out of the TDP network, you will end up paying more for the same treatment. Thankfully, Dr. Fox has been in the TDP network for years, and even with United Concordia taking over, he is still a TDP network dentist.

Benefit year: A 12-month time period but not always a calendar year. All dental insurance plans limit how many treatments of a certain type you can get each year. For example, you’re usually limited to two dental exams. However, check with TDP to see when your year begins. For some, it starts on January 1. For others, it starts the day they enlisted or received dental insurance benefits.

Tips For Effective Insurance Use

Here are some tips for getting the most value from your TDP.

  • Only visit a dentist in the network. Thankfully, Dr. Fox is your Burke dentist who’s already a member of the TDP network.
  • Use your preventative benefits each year. That normally means two dental exams (and related services like digital X-rays) per year, but check your plan details to confirm.
  • Look at the TDP coinsurance rates to figure out which dental treatments they cover the most. Then speak with Dr. Fox to see if these treatments can help your smile.
  • Double-check when your TDP “year” begins and ends since many treatments are limited per year.

Call us TODAY at 703-978-5253 or use our convenient online form to schedule your next dental exam and dental cleaning. Because Dr. Fox is your Burke dentist who’s a member of the TDP network, these are usually free of charge. Even better, these can mean the difference between a mouth full of dental problems and one that’s both healthy and attractive.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fox Family Dentistry

Burke Office

5200 Lyngate Ct, Burke, VA 22015


Monday: 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Tuesday: 7:00 – 4:00 PM
Wednesday: 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Thursday: 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Springfield Office

7837 Rolling Road, Springfield, VA 22153


Monday: 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Tuesday: 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Wednesday: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Thursday: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM


Second Floor, 5200 Lyngate Ct, Burke, VA 22015, USA


7837 Rolling Rd, Springfield, VA 22153, USA

We’ll Take Care of Your Dental Needs at Fox Family Dentistry